Monday 13 May 2013

Root and Wings

This is last of the layouts I made using The Paperie's May kit.

Roots and Wings

This page was quite a long process and has its own story. At The Paperie's Spring Retreat a few weeks ago, I was speaking with Pam about parenting.  The quote is one her grandmother, Ethel Parsons, used to say.  It reads, "You can only give your children two things: roots and wings."

I loved it. It feels very wise and true. My kids are little so I'm in the roots phase but the wings phase isn't far away.  I knew the papers from Studio Calico's Sundrifter collection, part of The Paperie's "Hey Girl" kit, were perfect for the roots and wings in the quote.

Here are the wings...
Roots and Wings_closeup 3

and the roots...

Roots and Wings_closeup 4

I didn't want the patterns to overwhelm the quote or the photo so I covered them in tissue paper. I used Liquitex Gel Medium as an adhesive, dried it with my heat gun and then let it dry overnight.

The next day I added drips in Distress Paint Antique Linen. Then it was time to pack up and go home.  At home, I added the Claudine Hellmuth Studio Classic Teal paint drips and my photo but the page was still missing something. Time for my go-to paint dots and pen work.

Roots and Wings_closeup 1

It took me forever to make this page. There was a lot of thinking and deciding and each layer was really wet and took a long time to dry - definitely not one for a class but definitely a statement piece.

So, that is the last of my five layouts. I hope you've enjoyed them and have had a chance to play with your own kit. If you're curious to see the my other layouts, you can find them here and here and here.

Thanks for stopping by!

Cathie

No comments:

Post a Comment