Monday 17 September 2012

How I get started with a new scrapbooking kit

Hey friends,

I'm back. Internet has been restored. The fridge has been cleaned out and restocked. And laundry is almost under control (which, quite frankly, is the status quo for laundry around here).

Today, I'm going to share how I tackle my kit each month. I shared some tips in this post about how to use your scrapbooking kit but I thought you might be curious to see how I get started.

Here we go!

Step 1: Dump everything out and open everything up. Yes, I literally dumped out the whole bag on my kitchen table and started picking through the kit. And, yes, I do this every month. It's fun and exciting and a lot like going through your Halloween treats or your Christmas stocking when you were a kid.

New Kit_Step1

Step 2: Sort the paper from everything else. I just found this little wire basket at Winners and it is the perfect size for scrapbooking embellishments. So, this month I put all the bits and pieces in the basket and laid it to one side.

New Kit_Step2

Step 3: Separate pattern paper from cardstock. This is probably my favorite part because I love love love pretty papers.

New Kit_Step 3

Step 4: Think.  Before I get started,  I lay out all the patterned paper and have a look and I think about where I'm going to start.

New Kit_Step4

Step 5: Pair pictures with paper. This is when I start deciding how I'm going to use my kit.  I want to get as many pages out of each kit as possible but I don't want to use all my favorite stuff on one page. So, I make a plan. Though I can (and do) change my mind as I go.

Here's a look at how some of my pages started.

New Kit_Step5a

New Kit_Step5b

New Kit_Step5c

Step 6: Go for it. It's time for the hardest part - the first cut - and here's a tip: don't cut your favorite paper first. This month, I had a great idea (or so I thought). Sadly, my first cut was into my favorite paper (the hot air balloon paper) and I ruined it.

So, the page that started like this...

New Kit_Step6

Ended up like this...

Pure Joy

If I had my time back, I would have started with an easier page to get warmed up. In the end, it's just paper and I'm happy with my pages but I'll be more careful the next time. Or maybe I won't. I'm like that!

I hope I've inspired you to dig into your latest kit. Remember supplies are meant to be used to make pages you love. Now go make something fabulous!
 
Thanks for stopping by!

zove

Cathie

No comments:

Post a Comment