Tuesday 14 July 2015

Two Stash Bashing Tips

I stumbled across these pics on my computer and realized that I haven't shared this layout. At least, I don't think I have. It got me thinking about The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo.  I haven't read it yet but I feel a little bit like I have because I have heard so much about it.

My friends have read it, it's been talked about on podcasts and in many of my favorite blogs. Tidying up and decluttering is pretty trendy right now.

So, what does all that have to do with this layout?


Well, one of my favourite things to do with supplies that are cluttering up my stash but I just can't seem to part with is to use them all.

Like the wood veneer arrows above.

I was having a hard time using them one at a time so they were siting in my stash. When I used my "Put it All on the Page" strategy, it worked out great.  It is a really simple process. Just gather up all the pieces you want to use (but have been hoarding) and put every last piece on the page.

It creates a visual statement on my page and the added bonus is that I feel great for using up my supplies.  It's a win-win situation.


In fact, I can't help but think that I have lots more arrows that would look great on a similar page or maybe even added to this page...hmmm....

Anyway, my other tip is to wall paper over your unused backgrounds. If you're anything like me, you have pages in your stash that you either started and didn't finish or you didn't like how it looked but you just couldn't throw out. Well, you would probably never guess that the book paper background here is actually a recycled mixed media background.


If I could pull back the layers of book paper, gesso and spray ink (Prima Color Bloom sprays: Cobalt, Summer Sky), you would find a very ugly background. To make it useful again, I sprayed the original background with a sealant to keep any water reactive inks in place - more or less.

Then I layered lots of book paper with Liquitex Fluid Matte Medium. Once all the old background was covered up, I laid the background aside to dry and cure. When it was all dry, I added a coat of gesso to make the book paper less obvious. And there you have it one mixed media background ready to go.


To finish this one, I added some Art Basics Modeling Paste through a Ronda Palazzari stencil (Dots and Dashes TCW397). I let that dry on its own. Then lots of the Prima Color Bloom sprays for the watercolory background. Then I added the photos, the arrows and embellishments.

That's how I use up supplies that are cluttering up my stash to make pages that "spark joy", as Marie Kondo would say. If you have any decluttering or organizing tips you would like to share leave a note in the comments. I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks for stopping by!

Cathie


No comments:

Post a Comment