Thursday 16 July 2015

Repeating A Piece

A few weeks ago, I blogged about this art journal page.



I almost never repeat a page. Once a page is finished, I like to stick it in my art journal and move onto the next experiment. I love to try new things but this page made me want to repeat the process. So, I did.



I used the same techniques. First, I built a background using spray ink, then coated everything in clear gesso, then drew my shape then added white gesso.


The main difference was with the supplies. For my spray ink, I still used the Color Bloom sprays but I chose a different palette. To draw the lines, I used various colors of Dr. Ph Martins Bombay India Ink with my bamboo brush.

I didn't add the pen work in white Sharpie pen. I want to go back and add that in - I like how that looks on the original piece. 

Here are some closeups...







I'm a big believer in the art of practice. I will practice techniques or repeat color palettes but I rarely make a page deliberately look like a page I have already made.

Believe it or not, I actually prefer the original. I like the vibrant colors, how the inks are smeared under the gesso and the pen work. However, I much prefer the drawing made with india ink and brush.

I thought the process would be boring. I thought that I would feel trapped but actually it was nice to not to have to figure out what to do next. I just had to follow the steps. Changing things up with supplies and color palette was enough variety for me.

Will I do this again? Absolutely. I'm planning to make these tree type things until I don't want to make anymore. I'm curious to see what will happen as I repeat and practice and experiment.

So, tell me, which one do you prefer and why? I would love to know.

Thanks for stopping by!

Cathie

No comments:

Post a Comment