Tuesday 30 June 2015

I Wonder...

I like to work on lots of different projects at a time. Waiting for things to dry on their own is borrrrrrinng.  I could use my heat gun but I'd rather be painting.

The best and easiest way for me to enjoy my creative time is to work on many pages at a time until piece ends up done.

June 30_1

 I usually don't have a plan when I start making something, I'm just playing around with supplies or techniques. I like to start with the question, "I wonder what would happen if I..." And because I wonder a lot, I repeat that question over and over.

June 30_3

This page started with the question, "I wonder what would happen if I glued these strips of paper onto a page?" I used plain strips of watercolor paper that were leftover from other projects. I glued them onto the page and cut away the excess and added a coat of gesso.

June 30_2

Then I wondered what would happen if I layered some modeling paste on top of the page. You can see that I repeated this step - layering the stencil on top of itself when the first layer was dry.

June 30_4

Then it was many layers of Dina Wakley Media, heavy body paints in various shades of blue: sky, turquoise, night and blackberry violet (which isn't blue but goes really well with blue).

June 30_5

Then I tried my new favorite trick of running my brayer over everything with a coat of white paint. This is so much fun to do and I like how it looks - win, win!

June 30_6

And there you have it! I can't say how many layers or how long it took to make this page because that's not what this page is about. It's about being curious, asking questions and making art.

Thanks for stopping by!

Cathie








No comments:

Post a Comment