Monday 13 August 2012

How to take a self portrait you will love.

If you're anything like me, you probably don't have a lot of pictures of yourself.  I usually find myself snapping away - the kids, the dogs, the trees. And, funny enough, I never think to ask some one to take my picture.

Any of this sound familiar?

I've never ever been a big fan of getting my picture taken but someday I might regret that fact. Maybe you're having the same problem so I thought I'd share my best tips for taking a self portrait you will love.
  1. Use a mirror.  I like taking "selfies" in mirrors because it works with any of my cameras and I get a shot of my room behind me.  When I'm not using a mirror, I set my camera to portrait (that's the little lady with hat icon on your camera) and shoot from above.
  2. Figure out if your camera has a self-timer and learn to use it. This one is on my "to-do" list. Each camera is slightly different but you can find your camera's user manual with Google's help and follow the instructions. I'm told it's not hard. I'll let you know.
  3. Practice, practice, pratice. If you want to get good at anything you have to practice. Fortunately, a digital camera makes it possible to take as many pictures as you need to get the hang of it. So, strike a pose and snap away.
And if all else fails, hand over the camera. I know this is a real gamble (and it's technically not a self portrait) but I've gotten some pretty good shots by handing my point and shoot to my son, Gabriel (he's 5), and my nephew, Nathaniel (he's 4 1/2). I will ask an adult if there's any handy but sometimes...well...you know...

So, here's a page I made about me and my hair. Some people love their nails. Some love to play with make-up but I'm a hair girl.  I've always loved my hair and I especially love my hair when I've just been to the salon. One day, I took a selfie which I later turned into a page.

DSC_0710_copy

All the supplies, except the washi tape, were a part of The Paperie's July kit. I wanted to challenge myself to use a piece of pink cardstock that came in the kit but had me stumped. I cut a piece into strips to add texture and interest. It's pure coincidence that it looks like hair. Then I traced a small plate to get the oval shape and journaled around it. It's a simple page but I'm glad that I have a page about me to add to my scrapbook.

I hope these tips help you get started on the path of getting your picture taken more often. And if you have any tips for getting a great self portrait, please share in the comments.

Thanks for stopping by!

zove

Cathie

No comments:

Post a Comment