Monday 22 September 2014

Making Mixed Media Cards

I don't call myself a card maker. Oh sure, I make cards but I don't consistently make really good cards. That doesn't stopping from making cards because I want to give people cards I make and making cards is practice and practicing helps.

Recently, I decided to try my hand at mixed media cards. It was fun and interesting and challenging to use the supplies and techniques I love on other projects to make cards.

Here's one of the cards I made.


Sept 22_3

Here's how I made it.

1. Collage book paper onto a sheet of watercolor paper. I like to use Liquitex Fluid Gel Medium when I'm collaging paper. I covered a 12x12 sheet of watercolor paper . When the gel medium was dry, I cut it to size
(4 1/4 x 5 1/2).

2. Add a thin coat of gesso. Set aside to dry or you can use a heat gun.

3. Randomly stamp with your favorite background stamp in a permanent ink - Archival Ink or Staz On work great. I like text stamps and often use  Friend Definition by Hero Arts and an old old old polka dot stamp. If text stamps and dots aren't your thing, you could try something like Number Pattern or Leaf and Floral.

3. Spritz some Studio Calico Hey Diddle Diddle through a stencil. Set aside to dry or dry with a heat gun.

4. Add a layer of modeling paste through a stencil. I used my favorite - 6x6 Blazonry by Balzer Designs. I let the modeling paste dry on its own.

5. Mist with spray ink. Set aside to dry or use heat gun. I used Soft Teal Prima Color Bloom spray. By the way, the Prima sprays are lovely and I promise a post all about them later. Stay tuned!

6. Add embellishments - white doily, scrap of gold doily are from my stash. The wood frame is called Wood Charms - Tiny Text by Cosmo Cricket. The star pins are from Maya Road and the tag from DIY Shop by American Crafts.

And here's a close-up.

Sept 22_4

So, what do think? Do you like? Would like to see some more mixed media cards? Let me know in the comments. And if you have any questions about techniques or products used please leave them in the comments and I'll get back to you.

Thanks for stopping by!

Cathie

No comments:

Post a Comment