Tuesday 7 August 2012

Sticks and Stones: a natural embellishment

Hey, hey!

I don't know about you but I love the idea of using ephemera and the bits and pieces of life on my pages.  It makes me think of vintage scrapbooks and traditional memory keeping but it's not something I do very often. But recently, I made a page using The Paperie's July kit that was perfect for some "natural" embellishments.

I took this picture during this year's Week In the Life project and knew I had to make a page documenting Ben's first foray into dirt. My kids are drawn to rocks, twigs and dirt and they always want to keep a piece of it. So, obviously I had to put some on my layout - literally.

Sneak Peek_1

I simply went outside and gathered some rocks from the little dirt pile you can see in the picture and cut some twigs from the trees close by.  Then, I used a hot glue gun to stick everything down.

Here's the whole layout.

Sneak Peek_2

I made the background using brown Staz On and the Dear Lizzy Mason Jar stamp set that came in the kit. And, of course, I doodled a border using my white Signo Gel Pen.

This a simple layout with a unique twist on embellishing that can easily be adapted to any kind of page. I have feathers from a recent duck feeding trip that are waiting to be used. Or you could glue sand directly to a beach page instead of putting it in a vial or envelope. If you have some other ideas, please leave a comment below. Or if this is something you like to do or have done in the past, why not leave a link to your project. I'd love to see.

Thanks for stopping by!

zove

Cathie



2 comments:

  1. Awesome idea with the stamp and the natural embellies! Love the LO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You know me, I always love to try new things.

      Delete