Friday 5 April 2013

Art Journal Calendar: April

The one where I fell in love with Distress Paints.

When Tim Holtz debuted his new line of Distress Paints at the Crafts and Hobby Association tradeshow in January, I knew that I had to have them. 

Here's what happened the first time I tried them in my art journal...

Distress Paint 2

It's an alright background but not my favorite. So, clearly more playing and experimenting was required. I decided to use them for my calendar page for April.

I started with a piece of watercolor paper that I covered in gesso. I stamped all over the background just because I'm trying to use my stamps more often.  Then I added some different colors of blue Distress Paint (Broken China, Chipped Sapphire and Salty Ocean) because if I'm playing I'm going to choose blue...every time! Then I sprayed with water to create some blue drips.

Art Journal Calendar_April closeup 2

My inspiration was April showers from the old adage "April showers bring May flowers" but after a few layers I felt it was too dreary so I decided to add the May flowers. Why wait til May when I can have color now? I used green paints (Bundled Sage and Mowed Lawn) and dripped the paint in the opposite direction until the blue and green overlapped.

Art Journal Calendar_April closeup 1

Then I added lots and lots of flowers.

Art Journal Calendar_April closeup 3

And I ended up with this...

Art Journal Calendar_April

This page makes me so incredibly happy and making it was so much fun that I can honestly say I give Distress Paints 2 very painty thumbs up. I loved how they blend. It totally won me over. It's beautiful and fun all at the same time.  They also dry super flat and matte. They're not all plastic and shiny like other acrylic paints. Love that!

One word of caution though, Distress Paints are runny like a fluid acrylic so be careful if you unscrew the top of a bottle or you will have paint everywhere. Don't ask for details just trust me on this one.

Hope the sun is shining where you are and you get some creative time this weekend.

Thanks for stopping by!

Cathie


No comments:

Post a Comment