Friday 8 July 2016

More Mixed Media Flowers

Last week, I shared an art journal page I made using the new colors of Dina Wakley's Heavy Body Paints. I had so much fun with last week's page, that I made another art journal page of abstract flowers this week.

July 8_1

I started with a coat of gesso on the paper then I scraped some paint across the background using a silicon brush. I wasn't trying to create anything in particular, I just wanted to play with color.

July 8_5

Then I created the flowers the same way I did last week - I painted with my fingers and blended the colors into each while wet.

July 8_2

I like the looks of the paints blended together. It's very random and something that is different every time.

July 8_3

When the paint was dry, I mixed some orange and yellow paint with water and added some splats to the center of the flowers.

July 8_4

Finally, I added a watered down some gesso to create a whitewash and painted it over the background. I felt that the background was competing with the flowers and I wanted to knock them back. I let it sit for about a minute and then I wiped it off with a baby wipe. Then I painted the stems with a thin brush.

I am very happily in an abstract and floral phase in my art journal. I have been noticing floral patterns and painted flowers everywhere, have you? It's fun to jump on a trend and play with new supplies.

Wishing you some creative time this weekend!

Cathie

No comments:

Post a Comment