Wednesday 25 May 2016

Week in the Life 2015: Part 1

I'm sharing the first half of my 2015 Week in the Life album. Partly to remind myself that it can be done. For my 2016 album, I'm lost in the weeds of editing and selecting. My goal is to get photos printed this week so I can start putting it together. Week in the Life is a big project and it takes a lot of work to finish but the results are so worth it.

Here are some tricks that I used to put this album together.

1. Use a familiar album. I have experimented with other albums but the 6x8' Sn@p binders and albums are my favorite.  I have used this album so many times because it suits my photo taking style which is to say that I like to use portrait orientation. It appeals to me and the 6x8' pictures are some of my favorites in this album. I use the protector that has 4 3x4" pockets a lot too. Using an album that I like, that I have experience using and suits my personal style makes it so much easier to finish this project. In fact, I will be using the 6x8" Sn@p faux leather album for my 2016 album.

May 25_1

May 25_2

May 25_3

May 25_4

May 25_5

2. Keep it simple. I am a mixed media girl at heart but I love pocket page scrapbooking because it is so simple.  The week after Week in the Life 2015, we went on our own summer vacation.  I didn't start on this album until November. The first step was to put all the pictures in pockets - simple. I set it aside until April and by then my excitement for the project was long gone. I decided to keep it simple with journaling and some embellishing. I picked a few favorite embellishments and repeated throughout - simple and done.

May 25_6

May 25_7


May 25_8

May 25_9

May 25_10

3. Let the photos speak for themselves. I believe that scrapbooking is so important because it gives context to our photos. Sometimes, photos don't need a title or journaling. Sometimes the photos do a great job of telling the stories all on their own.

May 25_11

May 25_12

May 25_13

May 25_14

May 25_15

May 25_16

May 25_17

It is possible to finish a big project if you focus on what is really important to you. For me, I want lots of photos and I want the album done. That means I have to compromise on having an album full of embellishing and detailed layouts. The trick is figure out what is important to you and use that to guide your planning and your scrapping. Doing what you love and what is important to you is more fun and leads to more completed albums.

I'll share the second half of my 2015 Week in the Life album next Wednesday.

Stay tuned and thanks for stopping by!

Cathie

No comments:

Post a Comment