Monday 30 May 2016

Mixed Media Monday


Today I'm sharing a page I made for one of an in-person class I taught at The Paperie (my LSS) in March. It's part of a series called Make Mine Mixed Media. In these classes, I teach how to combine mixed media supplies like gesso and spray ink with traditional scrapbooking supplies and techniques to make a mixed media layout that you will love. The goal is to combine memory keeping with creative expression.


The challenge was to use the beads that have been lingering in stashes since forever. Mixed media is great for updating supplies you've been hoarding. Here's a look at one of the layouts I made featuring beads - a supply I own but have rarely ever used.


May 23_2


And here's a closeup of all that texture.

May 23_1

 The trick to creating texture with beads is product - two products, to be precise.

1. Adhesive. You need to use a strong adhesive to keep them in place or else they will fall off like raindrops. I used Finnabair's 3D Matte Gel by Prima to adhere to beads but you can use any heavy gel. I spread the gel on my background and sprinkled the beads over the gel. If I didn't like where they landed, I moved them into place with an old brush or palette knife. Both work fine but the palette knife was easier to clean.

2. Gesso. Gesso is key because it lets you change the color of your beads. If you're anything like me, you're probably not using your beads because they are the wrong color. With a few coats of gesso, your beads are white and ready for the next coat of whatever color your heart desires. I used Prima Color Bloom sprays to add color to my layout but you could use acrylic paint, Liquitex acrylic ink, Silks acrylic glazes. There are so many options. 

Each Monday, I will share a mixed media layout and share some of my favourite tips and techniques. If you have any questions, just leave a note in the comments.

Thanks for stopping by!

Cathie

No comments:

Post a Comment