Friday 14 August 2015

Experimenting in My Art Journal

I've been experimenting with embedding things in my art lately. I've been having quite a lot of fun with embedding cheesecloth into pages like this one and this one.  This week, I wanted to try something new. So, I found some beads in my stash and tried embedding them in some modeling paste. Very much like these pages by Louise Nelson.

Here's what I came up with.


Here's how I made it:

1. Spread a layer of modeling paste on the background. I spread mine over the background paper with a palette knife. It was just like icing a cake.

2. Sprinkle the beads into the modeling paste while it's wet. I moved the beads around a bit with my palette knife to get them in the "perfect" spot. If I had my time I would have just left them alone - lesson learned.

3. Set aside to dry.

4. Add a coat of gesso to the entire piece. I applied it with a brush to give everything a nice event coat of gesso. Set aside to dry.

5. Add color I used Dr. Ph Martin's Bombay India Ink  but you could use practically anything to create a water color effect like Dylusions Ink Sprays, Prima Color Bloom, Gelatos, etc...I chose the India Ink because they are permanent when dry. To create the background, I added color then spritzed with water to get the ink moving around the page.

6. More drying. I used my heat gun to dry the page in between colors. I was impatient but you can set it aside to dry.

7.  Add journaling. I used my China pencil to write "Forgiveness". I have been thinking about it a lot lately. It just seemed to make sense to get those thoughts down. I blended the word with a wet brush. Then I added more water to create drips. Finally, I added some journaling with a pen.

8. Add some white paint splashes. Finally, I added some splashes of white paint just because.

Here are some closeups.


My favorite part about this page is the India Ink. Using my favorite colors always makes me happy
 and experimenting with new techniques and products in my art journal is definitely one of my favorite things.

Here's wishing you some creative time this weekend.

Thanks for stopping by!

Cathie

No comments:

Post a Comment