Friday, 20 February 2015

Working through the "uglies"

Hello Friends,

Today, I'm sharing one of my favorite pages that started out as a disaster. It was definitely ugly which is why I don't have a before picture to share. Here's a look at the final page.

Feb 20_2

It all started with an abstract background that I made by scraping all the Dina Wakley heavy body paints onto a single page. It was bad. A horrible page to look at but great for experimenting because I have nothing to lose.

With a little of my favorite Prima Art Basics 3D Matte Gel through my favorite Finnabair stencil, I created all kinds of dimension.

Feb 20_6

Then I buried my mess under a coat of white gesso and set it aside to dry. Once dry, I started spraying with my Prima Color Bloom Sprays.  I used Polished Stone (my new favorite), Tea Stain (my all-time favorite), Glistening Waves, Gold Foil, Soft Teal, Cobalt, Emerald and Soft Sky. I sprayed and sprayed and imagine my surprise when page started to look amazing.

Feb 20_5

Finally, I added some black gesso around the edges of my page and it came together.

Feb 20_4

This kind of page is what I like to call a "flop-opportunity" because without failing first, I never would have made this page which I absolutely love. I learned a lot in the process and I finally used black gesso on a page. Just goes to prove that a total mess of a page isn't always a bad thing.

Thanks for stopping by!


No comments:

Post a Comment