Friday 12 September 2014

A Flip Through my Art Journals


Currently, I have 5 Dylusions journals in various stages.  This isn't unique to me. Many art journalers often have more than one journal on the go at a time. Although 5 does seem like rather a lot. I have two smalls: 1 almost full and 1 started recently. I have 3 bigs: 1 brand new, 1 almost full and 1 with no blank pages but when I flip through it I can always find a page that needs a little something.  That's why it's still in rotation.

I wanted to share some of the pages I've been making while on my blogging hiatus. Some of these pages are done and some are in progress. That's how I like to play in my art journals. For me, it's not about finishing pages it's about learning and experimenting.

This is one of my small Dylusions journals.

Art Journal Cover

 I have only recently started decorating the covers of my art journals. I was afraid I would "ruin" the journal if I messed up the cover. I got over that at that fear recently. Mainly because I often encourage others to face fear and make art anyway. And honestly, an ugly cover isn't going to ruin my art journal so what have I got to lose?


Doodling

These pages are examples of work I do in my journal to prep for classes. The page on the left is for my art journal class on doodling on October 30 and the page is on the right is from the watercolor class I taught in August.


Implied Face

This is what I call an implied face. It's clearly a face but it's not a great face. It's part of my practicing. You can also notice my handwriting in the bottom right corner. It says "Golden Fluid Acrylics".  This note helps me remember what I've used on a page when I'm trying new products, techniques or prepping for a class.


Dina Inspired


This page is definitely inspired by Dina Wakley. I think one of the reasons I like Dina so much (aside from her being fabulous) is that she uses many of the colors (blue) and motives (circles) that I love so much.

Inspired by Traci Bautista


This page is inspired by Traci Bautista. Her style, color palette and design are so unlike my own but I am drawn to her work. That shape was something I cut from printer paper to use as a mask because I saw her use a similar shape. This is also a page where I was experimenting with making my own glazes.


Ben Collage

Here's another experiment. This time with my printer and a photo of Ben. I'm not sure what to do with page. I love it but I think it could use more...we'll see.


Work in Progress

This page started as a place to clean my brayer while making gelli prints. I love the colors. This is a work in progress and will get finished someday...or not. My art journal is not a to-do list so there is no pressure to finish anything.

Abstract

And finally, I must share my obsession with abstraction. I love, love, love abstract art. I have a huge Pinterest board dedicated to abstraction so it's to be expected that it would turn up in my art journal.

And that's what I've been working on so far this year in my art journals. If you have any questions about products or techniques, please leave a comment below and I'll get back to you.

So, what about you? Do you have one or many art journals? Let me know in the comments - I'd love to know.

Thanks for stopping by!

Cathie



No comments:

Post a Comment