Monday 11 February 2013

A Use it or Lose it Blog Hop

Welcome to the first ever Bust-Your-Stash/Use-it-Or-Lose-It blog hop. I usually blog about using your stash on Mondays and this week I'm excited that my friends, Krista and Sara, have decided to join me. Today, I'm going to show you my scrapping process from start to finish using old/older products. So, let's get started!

First, I gathered my supplies for this layout.  After sorting through some cardstock and my scrap bin, I settled on these papers.

Me & My Bears_Paper_2

And then I picked some embellishments. I like to have lots of options so I always choose more than I think I'll use.

Me & My Bears_Supplies_1

I started with the background paper from Cosmo Cricket's holiday collection from 2011 - the Peppermint Collection.  The other side is all Christmas ornaments but this side doesn't feel Christmas-y at all. It's been on my desk for months - time to use it!

I layered the blue cardstock under the white piece from Cosmo Cricket, added the strip and then cut everything down to about 11" long.  The strip was part of the Stupendous sheet  from Pink Paislee's Portfolio collection. Love this collection!

Me & My Bears_Base_3

Now for the layers.  I cut the larger strip of Pink Paislee paper in two and added the journaling card from October Afternoon. I used the cloud side in this shot but ended up using the other side with stripes. The "be spontaneous" strip is from a Jillibean Soup card that I love cutting up and adding to layers.

Me & My Bears_Paper Layers_4

Then I added my photos. These were printed as 4x6" but I cut them down to 4x4".

Me & My Bears_Photos_5

Time to start embellishing. The tags are from The Paperie's September kit - they're from My Mind's Eye. That "precious" tag is also from My Mind's Eye. It's from their old Wild Asparagus collection. Remember that one - it was so lovely. And another phrase from the Jillibean Soup tag.

Me & My Bears_ 1Cluster_6

Then I added some SC Mister Huey Clay to the cream cardstock. I love that mist.

Me & My Bears_Ink Splats_7

And back to the embellishing. The tag is from a pack of October Afternoon journaling cards from the Cakewalk collection.  This is another leftover from a Paperie kit.  And the "hello" metal tag...well... it's a mystery.

Me & My Bears_Cluster2_8

And then some more embellishing. I tuck and add and adjust until I'm happy.

Me & My Bears_Almost Done_9

Then I added my title. I usually know what my story is about before I start scrapping but this one was about scrapping cute photos. A little boy playing with giant teddy bears just has to be scrapped. While I was moving things around on the page, Ben saw the pictures and said "Look, teddy bears!" and then I had my title. It's a line from a song my mom used to sing when I was little - perfect. And these mini letter stickers from Authentique were just the right color.

I deliberately separated my long title from the photos and embellishments so it would stand out and be readable.

Me & My Bears_Title_11

Then I added my washi tape. I usually save my washi tape for last. It's a great way to tie things together and fill in any holes.

Me & My Bears_Washi_10

And here's the final page. I added some grey airmail washi tape from Freckled Fawn to the top and bottom of the layout to frame the page. And added twine to the buttons.

Me & My Bears_Final_12

And that's it. I hope you enjoyed this peek into my process. It really is easy to use up old supplies - especially when you still love them and mix them with new supplies.

And now for some more inspiration, hop on over to visit Krista and Sara. They are super duper talented scrappers and they have some great pages lined up to get you bashing your stash in no time!


Thanks for stopping by and have a fabulous Monday!

Cathie

4 comments:

  1. Very cute Cathie - great pictures! Love the twine in that button! Maybe I'll get something done today... but I have to get some good work in first! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy. Fitting in creative time is always a challenge. I like to create in the day so naptimes are my time. Hope you had time for something fun!

      Delete
  2. This is a brilliant idea - bust your stash. I've definitely got some stash that needs to be busted :)
    thanks for the tip on adding the washi last - it really did pull all your elements together!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie. Stash bashing is high on my list of priorities. I love buying new stuff as much as the next scrapper but I also love using what I have. The more I use, the more room I have for new stuff!

      Delete