Thursday 24 May 2012

the Undones: Reworking a page

Last week, I shared this page from this post...

DSC_0897_edited

I knew the page wasn't done because the story was missing and I just couldn't see how to get it
onto that page.

So I cut it apart. I cut a big square around the photo collage element and put it on a white background.  That wasn't right either so I spritzed a little Sailboat Blue from the Adirondack Color Wash line by Ranger.  Much better but not quite there.

Time for washi tape!  I made a mat for the photo block using washi tape and that solved my problem.

Here's the final layout.

DSC_0061_edited

I added some doodling around the edges of all my papers and love how it looks.  I hope you do too because I'm pretty sure you'll be seeing more of that technique.

And here's a close up.

DSC_0057_edited

All in all, I'm so happy I didn't give up on this layout. It's not always easy to work through a problematic page.  It's definitely a slow process but it has lots of opportunities to learn and try new techniques or products. I can't tell you how long it took me to make this page but it would probably be a couple of hours. It was totally worth it.

So, dig out a page that's not working. Take a picture of it and see if that helps you figure out what's wrong.  If that doesn't work, rip it apart and start over or cut it up and try again.  You can figure it out if you just give yourself a little time.

I'd love to hear what you think of my rework.  You can either leave a comment or tweet me. My handle is @cathiereed.
 
Happy scrapping!

zove

Cathie








2 comments:

  1. I think it turned out marvelous. I am a big believer in layers, and you have a lot of them. I'm not such a big fan of spritzers. But now that I see how you colored your white page but then layered on top of it, I may start to experiment with that approach. I love your doodles. I feel inadequate in that department. Never was a big doodler. Happily, I am starting to try that more and more and I love the freedom it gives me to just DO something! Thanks for sharing your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for the comment and I'm always happy to share. I love my inks and sprays but they take some practice and I don't use them all the time. Great way to add interest or layers without bulk.

    I'm not much of a doodler either but I'm trying to learn. I practice in my art journal and then bring elements I like to my pages. You know what they say, "if you don't make mistakes, you don't make anything."

    ReplyDelete